Diagnosis

All chimneys and fireplaces should be cleaned by a professional chimney sweep on an annual basis. Over long periods of time, soot builds up inside your chimney and can potentially ignite. Having your fireplace and chimney cleaned by a professional, certified chimney sweep will eliminate that hazard. Cleaning your chimney regularly will also improve the efficiency of your wood burning system and reduce unwanted odors. Using our experience and range of state-of-the-art equipment, we will clean your chimney system in the most effective and efficient manner possible. The Chimney Doctor also provides professional chimney inspections, and we will examine your chimney to identify any structural damages or imperfections that make your chimney and fireplace unsafe, creating a potential hazard for you, your family and your home.

Chimney Odor

The sour, sickly odor is the smell of creosote. The solution is to call a chimney professional to clean your chimney and install a chimney cap to prevent water from entering and reacting with the creosote. Your chimney professional can also recommend a good chimney deodorant to handle any remaining odor, which has been absorbed into the masonry.

Creosote is built up by  smoldering fires and/or the use of unseasoned wood can create "cool" smoke and weak draft. Under these conditions the smoke condenses and sticks to the chimney's interior, forming highly flammable creosote.


How to avoid chimney fires? Creosote is the main cause of chimney fires. A buildup of creosote is highly combustible and can result in a chimney fire. 

To minimize creosote:
  • Burn only seasoned woods
  • Do not burn trash or rubbish  in a fireplace or woodstove
  • Don't allow the fire to smolder
  • Contact The Chimney Doctor to professionally clean your chimney regularly

What to do if you have a chimney fire?
  • Get everyone out of the house
  • Call 999
  • Don't close the damper. If you have a fireplace with glass doors, close the doors and the vents. 
  • If you have a woodstove, close the doors and the air inlets.

If flames are visible at the chimney top, hose down the roof, but NOT the chimney. Spraying water on a hot chimney could damage it.
Call a chimney professional before using it again. Even a small chimney fire can damage the chimney making it unsafe to use.